We’ve Got You Covered
The UWSA, on behalf of its members, negotiates a health and dental plan for those students who are not already covered. This service is provided for students in order to reduce the costs of a benefit plan for students that are not already covered. The policy coverage ceases August 31st, of each year. Students have the opportunity to opt-out of the plan if they can show proof of alternate coverage.
*Please note that OHIP Equivalent and ODSP/ Trillium Benefits are not comparable plans and will not be accepted for opt-out.
For full plan information or to make a claim, visit www.studentvip.ca/uwsa.
- The UWSA health and dental plan covers all full time undergraduate students taking 4 or more credits
Students with coverage through a family member, or employer may opt-out with proof of comparable coverage
The UWSA plan policy year is from September 1st to August 31st
The UWSA plan coverage includes: prescription drugs, vision, dental, travel, practitioners (massage, chiropractor, physiotherapy, psychology/MSW, etc.), accident, and more.
Before you opt out, understand that
Fall/Traditional Opt Out
- You cannot opt back in under any circumstances until the next school year
You cannot use UHIP or ODSP/Trillium Benefits as proof of comparable coverage
– September 1 – September 31 – To be completed at www.studentvip.ca/uwsa
. If you apply to opt out during this time, Student VIP will refund students VIA direct deposit into your bank account. Winter Opt Out
– January 1 – January 31 – To be completed at www.studentvip.ca/uwsa
. If you apply to opt out during this time, Student VIP will refund students VIA direct deposit into your bank account. Please note that this opt out is for students starting classes in Winter semester. Please note that if you missed the Fall opt out you are not able to complete this opt out.
Information needed to opt out
- Full Name
- Student ID number
- Name of Insurance Company currently covered under / First Nations Name
- Name of Employer the plan is provided by / First Nations Name
- Group or Insurance policy number / Status Registry Number
- Direct Deposit information (traditional opt out only) / Status Registry Number
Students may opt-in their spouse and/or dependent children so they have coverage on the UWSA health and/or dental plan for an additional fee. Opt-In requests must be done during the designated opt-in period on the Student VIP
website or the UWSA office.
Eligible dependents include: Spouse (common law or by marriage), and children (under 21 or under 25 if enrolled full time at an accredited school).
Information Needed to Opt-in
- Credit Card Information (if done online)
- Number of Dependents
- Dependent’s Full Name
- Dependent’s Birthday